Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit September 2019

How Fast Could UK Get A Brexit Trade Deal With The EU

This is how an influential European diplomat responded when I put to him Boris Johnson's assertion that a trade deal with the EU could/would/should be completed by December next year.
    In these times of distrust in the media, charged emotions over Brexit and in the lead-up to a general election, I appreciate that many readers dislike journalists referring to unnamed sources, such as this "influential diplomat".
    But people speak to me on condition of anonymity. That's how I get good background information and - in the case of the Conservative Party's speedy trade deal pledge - I can assure you that this diplomat's response was one of the politer ones I've comes across, off the record, in EU circles.

Blair Claims That Brexit 'nightmare' May Not End

Former prime minister Tony Blair claims the Brexit "nightmare" will not be over if the Tories win the election and take the UK out of the EU on 31 January.

Visiting north east Wales, Mr Blair said people would be "shocked and angry" at how tough negotiations on the future trading relationship would be.
    "I wish it were as simple as 'just do it', but it isn't," he said of Boris Johnson's vow to "get Brexit done".
    "Anybody who's telling you that it is that simple is conning you."Speaking to BBC Wales, Mr Blair said: "I think the British people are being told… that if you vote Conservative on the 12th of December then the Brexit nightmare ends, and it obviously doesn't.

General election 2019: Labour calls Conservatives' 50,000 nurses pledge 'frankly deceitful'
    Johnson says Tories will introduce 50,000 more nurses but shadow health secretary says sums don’t add up.Labour launches its £1bn 'arts for all' charter alongside actors, artists and musicians in east London

Boris Johnson promised a new vote on his Brexit deal by Christmas and a raft of funding pledges if the Conservatives win Britain's general election, as he launched the party's manifesto launch on Sunday.

EU risks splits over Brexit trade talks, says new council chief

The EU is ready for the next phase of Brexit but risks greater internal divisions over trade talks with the UK, one of its incoming leaders has said.In one of his first interviews since being nominated president of the European council, Charles Michel said Brexit may have played an important role in bringing the EU together.

General Election 2019

PM Pledges Help For Struggling Firms After Brexit

Boris Johnson has pledged to make it easier to help struggling UK companies after Brexit, if the Tories win the general election.
    The PM said being free of EU rules on state aid would make it quicker to intervene, and bring in "buy British" guidelines for public bodies.
    He added that an Australian-style immigration system would be in place in place by 1 January, 2021. But Labour criticised the Tories' past record of supporting industry. Shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald said the prime minister's promise on state aid rules "sticks in his throat".

Freedom of movement from the EU will be impossible to end after Brexit, Jeremy Corbyn claims

OPEN border immigration from the EU will be impossible to end after Brexit, Jeremy Corbyn claimed today.
    The Labour leader also revealed he WILL vote in a second referendum despite his pledge to stay neutral, but suggested he won't tell the public which way he will cast his ballot.

Nicola Sturgeon ruthlessly savaged for pretending 'Scottish Brexiteers don't exist'

NICOLA STURGEON was attacked by an enraged Brexiteer who complained that the SNP party was “airbrushing” Scottish Brexiteers out of history.

An enraged Scottish voter took aim at the Scottish Party for pretending that Scottish Brexiteer’s don’t exist in the upcoming election. The voter spoke during a panel discussion on Brexit in North Berwick. With the upcoming election less than two weeks away, the SNP party has consistently insisted that Scotland did not vote for Brexit.

Ireland to LOSE ‘privileged access’ to Brexit deal talks

THE IRISH Government will lose “privileged access” to Brexit negotiations on talks on a future trade deal between the UK and EU get under way in what is a fresh blow to Prime Minister Leo Varadkar.
    Ireland has been central in the three years of intense Brexit talks and meetings as it is the only European Union country which shares a significant land border with the UK. EU leaders have since been insistent a withdrawal agreement is not possible without the approval of the Irish Government, which has battled to avoid a hard border on the island. But this privileged access to top negotiators in Brussels, including Michel Barnier, will now be heavily impacted, according to the Irish Independent.

Brexit: ‘Limited’ time for Johnson to avoid no deal if he wins election, EU warns

EU leaders are set to issue an election result-day warning to Boris Johnson that he has only “limited” time to avoid a no-deal Brexit, leaked documents have revealed.The prime minister has refused to rule out the possibility of crashing out without a free trade agreement (FTA) in December 2020, abruptly halting a press conference on Wednesday when he was challenged on the issue