King Charles III has pledged his "lifelong service" to the United Kingdom as he addressed the nation for the first time as monarch.

He paid a moving tribute to the Queen as a mother as well as a ruler, thanking his "darling Mama".

The King said: "Throughout her life, Her Majesty The Queen ? my beloved mother ? was an inspiration and example to me and to all my family, and we owe her the most heartfelt debt any family can owe to their mother.?

He continued: ?And, as every member of my family can testify, she combined these qualities with warmth, humour and an unerring ability always to see the best in people.?

Addressing the new line of succession, he revealed that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have become the Prince and Princess of Wales.

He added: ?With Catherine beside him, our new Prince and Princess of Wales will, I know, continue to inspire and lead our national conversations, helping to bring the marginal to the centre ground where vital help can be given.?

The King added he wished to ?express my love for Harry and Meghan as they continue to build their lives overseas?.

Finishing the address on a personal note, the King said: ?To my darling Mama, as you begin your last great journey to join my dear late Papa, I want simply to say this: thank you.

"Thank you for your love and devotion to our family and to the family of nations you have served so diligently all these years. May ?flights of angels sing thee to thy rest?.?

Read more: King Charles and Queen Consort walk into palace after being greeted by crowds

(BBC)
In his speech he also said the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would become the Prince and Princess of Wales. (BBC)
Members of the public visit Buckingham Palace to pay their respects and lay flowers after the death of Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday. Picture date: Friday September 9, 2022.
Members of the public visit Buckingham Palace to pay their respects. (PA)
The Duchess of Cornwall, the Prince of Wales, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince George, the Duke of Cambridge, Princess Charlotte, Prince Louis, and the Duchess of Cambridge appear on the balcony of Buckingham Palace at the end of the Platinum Jubilee Pageant, on day four of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Picture date: Sunday June 5, 2022.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, pictured with the Queen in June, have been made the Prince and Princess of Wales. (PA)
Charles became King following his mother's death at the age of 96 on Thursday afternoon.

It is a role he has been preparing for almost his entire life. The Queen took the throne in 1952 when he was only three, making him the longest heir apparent in history.

Before the historic address to the nation, Charles met a number of citizens during a short walkabout at Buckingham Palace.

The King and Queen Consort received heartfelt condolences from the public outside the Palace.